If you’re struggling to install an extension from the Magento Connect Manager, review the var directory permissions.
The quickest approach appears to be this series of steps:
- Delete the files from within var/cache and var/session
- Temporarily reset the permissions of var directory and files recursively to 777.
- Attempt extension install in the Magento Connect Manager
- The install should have worked. Now the permissions of the var directory need to be corrected:
- Set the directory permissions to 755 recursively
- Set the file permissions to 644 recursively
Two issues may have risen during the failed install:
- The site is stuck in maintenance mode – find the maintenance.flag file in the root and delete it
- The site has hit an error but will not display it – Navigate to the “errors” folder, change local.xml.sample to local.xml. This will list the error details for you to then resolve.