The PLA service relies on the retrieval of several keys, at least one of which will have failed to result in the server failing to start with the error 7023: Access denied.
To identify the particular retrieval that fails:
- run process monitor (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx),
- attempt to start the service,
- wait for failure and then stop process monitor,
- filter process monitor to only show ACCESS DENIED,
- now find the rows containing “PLA”
You will find a result along the lines of:
To resolve, you must provide the appropriate access on this specific key in registry, so hop over to regedit, find the key, right-click and open permissions, and set.